Barred cage floors

Topics on cages, accessories, layouts, free ranging, and enrichment
susielou

Barred cage floors

Post by susielou » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:00 pm

Hi all :D ,

I'm new to owning rats and have just brought a cage. It has 3 floors but they're all barred. I have a book that says this can damage their little feet.. I'm trying to come up with ideas that I could cover them with. Have you had to do this and what did you use? If material, then how many times do you change it?

Thanks!

Caza66

Re: Barred cage floors

Post by Caza66 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:10 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum and to the world of ratties. Some people cover their shelves with fleece but this will need changing quite often. It is a better option to take the shelves out (they will need a bit of tugging). I know it seems a waste since the cage comes with shelves but you will be able to provide more exercise and enrichment for your rats with ropes and hammocks etc. have a look at this thread for some ideas.

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=415
Officially ratless. Groot, Star-lord, Yondu adopted by another rat lover.
:rattyrainbow: To all those who have filled my heart, have fun at the bridge.

susielou

Post by susielou » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:50 pm

Oh wow, some of those are jammed pack full of toys. Think I'll need to buy some more! Thanks for the ideas

Naturenut

Post by Naturenut » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:11 am

I have one of these cages too - I find I can actually get more in it without the shelves or just for a change I put a shelf in and cover with a cardboard layer.

Have fun homemaking and pleased you've joined us. Why not do a rattie intro post?
Granny to Buttons and Wispa
:teen: :dumboteen:

susielou

Post by susielou » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:39 pm

Thanks naturenut. After having a look, I might take middle one out and then half the top one. I have another week and a half until I can bring my ratties home as getting them from a breeder. Very excited!

Caza66

Post by Caza66 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:30 pm

Photos are a must once you get them. :D
Officially ratless. Groot, Star-lord, Yondu adopted by another rat lover.
:rattyrainbow: To all those who have filled my heart, have fun at the bridge.

squeakrat

Post by squeakrat » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:54 pm

If you can leave half a shelf in, you could use it as support for a cat litter tray or similar (although it will need securing to the bars as well), then you've covered the bars up, and you can turn it into a digging box for them. Or a toilet, depending on what they decide!
Jenny x
:girly: Meg, Scout :dumbogirly: Daisy
:rattyrainbow: Lola, Ruby, Chick, Hope, Pocket, Belle, Dory, Silvermist, Poppy, Tarka, Jasmine, Flora, Penny, Lyra, Cassandra, Luna, Wren, Merryweather, Harper, Izzy, Tigger, Squeak, Bandit, Vandal :rattyrainbow:

susielou

Post by susielou » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:43 pm

Oooh I like the sound of that! What sort of things do put in for them to dig around in?

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:17 am

Shredded or chopped cardboard is good as a main substrate on the floor and for higher level trays, but you could also mix in straw, hay, aubiose, or good quality kiln dried and dust extracted shavings. For a digging box you might also try adding shredded paper, screwed up paper, old socks, sterile soil*, play sand*, or anything else you fancy really!

*these are probably best kept for free range play rather than for inside the cage

susielou

Post by susielou » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:01 pm

Cool, Thanks cyber ratty

Return to “Habitat”