Acrylic Wool

Topics on cages, accessories, layouts, free ranging, and enrichment
Jimmynigel

Acrylic Wool

Post by Jimmynigel » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:47 pm

Hi. First post. Not got ratties yet, waiting for 2 bucks to become available in our area but got cage and lots if "stuff". :D

I'm an avid crocheter and am wondering if it is worth me saving all the little cut off bits of wool that I accumulate after darning in ends for occasional bedding, or is it bad for rats? Can anyone advise?

Many thanks.

RedFraggle

Re: Acrylic Wool

Post by RedFraggle » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:13 am

I'd be inclined to say no to anything you can neither clean nor replace easily. I use kitchen roll for houses.
Slave to: Rescue boys Howard, Archie Broadstripe, Ray Shortstripe, Norman Wonkystripe, Albert, Bisley and Walter
Too many on the bridge to list.

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:32 am

I don't personally see anything wrong with giving different bedding every so often for variety - I quite often do this as an enrichment point with other materials for rats, and I sometimes do give stuff like that to smaller rodents to add to their nest construction when I have some. However rats usually make mattresses rather than nests, and little bits of string, even a whole bunch of little bits of string, aren't suited to that. The other thing is that rats pee in their bed for scentmarking reasons, so nesting material being very absorbent is important.

I mean, you could definitely try and see what your rats think to be sure, but I would mix in a little bit of the offcuts with a lot of their normal nesting material rather than doing a full swap.
Beri with all at Dandelion Soup
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

Jimmynigel

Post by Jimmynigel » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:07 pm

Thanks both. I wasn't intending it to replace any other type of bedding as I would never have that much at one time. At the moment I just throw it away so was thinking I could recycle it at last. I have read of some people leaving wool ends in the garden for birds to use in their nests.

Naturenut

Post by Naturenut » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:12 am

The birds would certainly make use of it especially if you start collecting now for springtime. When I groom my cats, I always save their fur, stuff it inside a bird feeder or hang it on the tree and it always disappears (assuming thw ind oesn't take it :lol: )

Are you a new rattie owner? Welcome to the forum.
Granny to Buttons and Wispa
:teen: :dumboteen:

mithras9

Post by mithras9 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:33 pm

I'm a knitter and crocheter, and occasionally give my rats a handful of wool leftovers for their bed. It does tend to be wool rather than acrylic, and I chop it up into very small pieces, around 1cm long, so they can't get it tangled around themselves. Have to admit it's not usually that popular though.

I'm also a spinner, and what most of my rats do like as nesting material is a handful of washed clean waste, with short fibres, from fleece processing. It makes a nice cosy mattress, especially for older rats. Probably not something most people have in quantity though!

rofay

Post by rofay » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:19 pm

Jimmynigel wrote:Thanks both. I wasn't intending it to replace any other type of bedding as I would never have that much at one time. At the moment I just throw it away so was thinking I could recycle it at last. I have read of some people leaving wool ends in the garden for birds to use in their nests.
This is great if it's wool (biodegradable) but not recommended for acrylic as you're basically littering. I don't see any problem with giving ends of acrylic yarn to your ratties though!

Return to “Habitat”