Liberta Abode cage question

Topics on cages, accessories, layouts, free ranging, and enrichment
ratty lover0099

Liberta Abode cage question

Post by ratty lover0099 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:31 pm

Hey,

I've recently brought a Liberta Abode cage

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=liber ... K1Yk7bM%3A

My previous cage was a First plus with the full opening roof so access to me, although the door is a good size, it just isn't what I'm used to.

Has anyone successfully opened the top up either with hinges put on or another way?

Thankyou

Kaz
Karen :D and the boys, Ulrik and Hakon and girly Flo
And also the other 29 boys and girls at the bridge :rattyrainbow:
Owned by ratties since 1997.

Caza66

Re: Liberta Abode cage question

Post by Caza66 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:01 pm

I've got one of these for our chinchilla and have never considered opening the top up. Not sure if it can be done. I think the only way it could be done, as the top rests on top is to fix hinges on but wouldn't like to try to be honest. There are a couple of members that modify cages, hopefully they can help.
Officially ratless. Groot, Star-lord, Yondu adopted by another rat lover.
:rattyrainbow: To all those who have filled my heart, have fun at the bridge.

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:24 am

I had one in my house a few years back with some long term ratsits and I must admit the bad access was the one thing I really struggled with with this cage. I'm not the biggest fan of fully opening doors myself, however I do find that large cages with only one door would be much better if they had plural! I pondered about if it would be theoretically possible to mod the roof, but I'm pretty sure my conclusion was the same as any other cage i.e. cut a bunch of bars and then attach something else for the new door. It's not usually (never?) possible to use the bits you've chopped out to be the door itself because by the time you've cut and then trimmed it down to safe margins re. where the bars cross each other the removed portion is considerably smaller than the hole it came from. However as it wasn't my cage to chop up this was very much stuff I wondered while swearing during layout changes rather than actually thinking through.
Beri with all at Dandelion Soup
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

ratty lover0099

Post by ratty lover0099 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:58 pm

Thanks guys.

I didn't think it would be easy, or actually all that possible.

I love the cage itself and my two boys come straight out when called but I'm having a hard time taming a rescue girl, she comes to the door OK but its a whole other story if you go to pick her up. Completely impossible especially when she runs to the top of the cage and I have no access to her there.
Karen :D and the boys, Ulrik and Hakon and girly Flo
And also the other 29 boys and girls at the bridge :rattyrainbow:
Owned by ratties since 1997.

Return to “Habitat”