Best wheel to purchase

Topics on cages, accessories, layouts, free ranging, and enrichment
Rhian33
Fancy Rats Team

Re: Best wheel to purchase

Post by Rhian33 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:37 pm

alijane wrote:My latest batch of Silent Spinners have been shocking. The middle nuts fall off ... the coloured rims come away from the white part. Shocking!
Mary and I had this conversation a few months ago. I said I wasn't impressed now they are Kaytee and not superpet. I too have found they randomly undo and the plastic seems flimsier and more brittle
Angharad, Barb, Bella, Carys, Demerara, Ida, Nancy, Sasha, Sinead, Siobhan, Spice, Sugar, Veronica :smileyrat:
53 gone but not forgotten :rainbow:

alijane

Post by alijane » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:17 pm

Rhian33 wrote:
alijane wrote:My latest batch of Silent Spinners have been shocking. The middle nuts fall off ... the coloured rims come away from the white part. Shocking!
Mary and I had this conversation a few months ago. I said I wasn't impressed now they are Kaytee and not superpet. I too have found they randomly undo and the plastic seems flimsier and more brittle
Yes - definitely more brittle

[cub]

Post by [cub] » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:02 pm

cyber ratty wrote:It's a bit fiddly to fix to the cage though (I have it in an SRS), so may get cleaned in situ for a while.
Can you elaborate on how exactly it's difficult to attach? I have the same cage and am contemplating the same wheel, and it was the apparent ease of cleaning it that attracted me. (I'd be looking to replace the Wodent Wheel, which is much loved by the rats but a right pain to clean!)
Poo-shoveller to: Calyn, Din, and Zephyr Mick Jagger (Edgeworth).
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Donovan (Phoenix) the big dope, Xeltan, Lita (NLA32), Lia (NLA28), Zephyr Delanynder (NLA28), Falere (NLA36), Mirala (NLA36), Zephyr Opold, and Rila.

Feline

Post by Feline » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:19 am

They have a bolt with a nut at the back to attach to the cage. You would need to undo this each time if you were going to wash it in the sink etc.
The bearings at the back of the wheel are not meant to be got wet, but the actual bit the rats run in can be rinsed. Because it doesn't have grooves I find mine pretty easy to just wipe in situ with a sponge or cloth really. I guess it depends on how messy your rats are :D

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:22 am

Feline wrote:They have a bolt with a nut at the back to attach to the cage.
Mine has four bolts which is why I found it fiddly, and my arms aren't very long so reaching into the cage with one and round to the outside with the other is awkward. It would be easier to fix it to the door, but then I wouldn't have the pleasure of seeing rats in the wheel.

Return to “Habitat”