Do they need quiet?

Topics on cages, accessories, layouts, free ranging, and enrichment
elfqueen

Do they need quiet?

Post by elfqueen » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:31 am

My new girls are in the living room, I have an air purifier (a swirly water one, not particularly quiet!) and a dehydrator (again, not quiet). Not deafening or anything, but just wondering if it would be a bit much for them to have them on so much? Or just not care? I can just leave the room or turn them off or something if it gets too much for me, they obviously can't.
I remember reading they need to have light and dark day and night, it makes sense. Just wondered if the same or similar would apply to sound....?
Chloe, mummy to
My angel ratties :rattyrainbow: Gary, Tony, Jasper, Crystal, Rosie and She-ra :rattyrainbow:
My human boy child
And 3 new rescue girlies yet to be named!

paigerose1

Re: Do they need quiet?

Post by paigerose1 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:17 am

I would also like to know about this.. I have a Hepa air purifier on in my room for the rats, it also is rather noisy, im also a little worried as clean air it blows back out is a little chilly.. would that be considered a problem?
Paige

Mummy to Zeus, Hades, Poseidon & Adonis

bazu

Post by bazu » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:24 am

Living in a house with people, noise is going to be inevitable for rats - be it air purifiers, music, TV, loud conversations, microwaves, hand tools (kitchen or DIY), children, plastic bags rustling, hoovers...

In a nutshell, if there's going to be something making a noise while they're there, it's better they get used to it early on. So quite the opposite of keeping things quiet, it's beneficial for them if you're a little louder than usual! I've not experienced any other than the most nervous of babies hiding away at noise, and even that didn't last very most - most of them either come to see what's going on, or just give you a glare from the hammock like they're telling you to keep it down :lol:
Currently servant to Pidge and Hunk.

Gone but never forgotten: Twenty-seven beautiful whiskery angels

bazu

Post by bazu » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:26 am

paigerose1 wrote:I would also like to know about this.. I have a Hepa air purifier on in my room for the rats, it also is rather noisy, im also a little worried as clean air it blows back out is a little chilly.. would that be considered a problem?
Rats are absolutely fine dealing with cold - their body temperature is naturally a little higher than ours anyway, then they've got little fur coats and lovely warm cagemates to snuggle up to! As long as it's not ridiculously cold, it's not a problem for them - overheating in summer is the bigger issue for them~
Currently servant to Pidge and Hunk.

Gone but never forgotten: Twenty-seven beautiful whiskery angels

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:04 am

What bazu said :)

Re. air making them cold, rats only have sweat glands on the bottom of their feet, rather than all over like people do. Air currents cool us down because of sweating, but to an animal who doesn't really have that capacity it's just air movement.
Beri with all at Dandelion Soup
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

Naturenut

Post by Naturenut » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:23 am

Buttons and Wispa live with a 13 year old....need I say more? :lol:

Music, hairdryers, giggling - they kip thru the lot!!
Granny to Buttons and Wispa
:teen: :dumboteen:

Return to “Habitat”