New member - one sexually aggressive male rat

Topics on behaviour, taming, companionship, introductions, and training
JoannaP79

New member - one sexually aggressive male rat

Post by JoannaP79 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:34 pm

Hi all,

New to pet rats. Have 2 young males. Bought one and then second few days later. The second one is bigger than first and humps the first smaller one constantly. It then licks it's own willy as it's continually highly aroused! They are def both males.

Took them both out, scrubbed cage completely clean, put vanilla essence on both bum and belly area and 're introduced. Just started this today. It seemed a little better at first tbh. The behaviour is continuing though and have been squirting water at the larger one every time he humps the other. I don't really like idea of this as they clearly don't like it.

Can I ask if this has been effective for others and how long you need to try the vanilla before it may work?

Could you advise how often you apply Vanilla?

Is it worth putting vanilla in the cage and how often?

I really don't want to take the sexually aggressive one back as he's very friendly with me. But I can't let the other one be bullied and squealing constantly.

They do happily snuggle up together for sleep time.

Thanks in advance.
Jo

Caza66

Re: New member - one sexually aggressive male rat

Post by Caza66 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:25 pm

Hi and welcome. I’ve had this problem myself with a couple of boys. Never used vanilla though. How old are they? I am assuming that he is at that age. Certainly don’t return him, it is his hormones and as his is ‘happy’ with the other boy it is easier than him being introduced with another new male. I ended up getting the dominant boy neutered, with eventually settled the issue. Good luck.
Officially ratless. Groot, Star-lord, Yondu adopted by another rat lover.
:rattyrainbow: To all those who have filled my heart, have fun at the bridge.

JoannaP79

Post by JoannaP79 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:40 pm

I think they are about 12 weeks. I am quite fond of him already so don't want to return him and will try everything I can. It does seem to have calmed down a bit today. I had them out playing in a be utral area and it didn't happen once.

I have looked into neutering as a last resort but that's positive that it helped in your case. Really hoping you are right and it is a particularly hormonal phase that will calm eventually :o

Caza66

Post by Caza66 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:46 pm

Oh, 12 weeks is a bit young for hormones. It could just be asserting dominance. There is something else you could try, if they are only 12 weeks, it would be good to get a third boy in there, similar age or even a rescued spayed girl, or neutered older boy. This will take some of the pressure of the submissive rat and create a better dynamic of a group.
Officially ratless. Groot, Star-lord, Yondu adopted by another rat lover.
:rattyrainbow: To all those who have filled my heart, have fun at the bridge.

[cub]

Post by [cub] » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:05 pm

Were the rats known to each other before you bought them (i.e. were they from the same litter at the same breeder, or in the same tank at the same pet shop) or were they meeting for the first time after you bought them? Rats that don't know each other generally need to go through a process of introductions before they'll live together reasonably peacefully, although particularly young rats can often just be plonked together.

Humping is done by both males and females as a dominant act; I suspect the excessiveness has to do with the rats still getting to know each other and establishing a hierarchy. I'm pretty skeptical of using vanilla to help with this process. Rats have an excellent sense of smell and will still be able to smell each other under the vanilla, and besides, they don't base their social relationships on smell alone. At best, vanilla will just stress them out a bit by making them smell weird, which gives them something else to get worked about other than each other, but it's not going to actively help them bond. (Also most vanilla extracts are alcohol-based, so that might help, or not. :roll: :lol: )

The most reliable introduction method is the carrier method: http://www.fancyratsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=52
You can skip the neutral space step, particularly as your rats have already met. I'd start by putting them together in a clean carrier with clean bedding and taking them on a walk, drive, bus ride, whatever. Then move to a too-small-for-a-hamster cage for a day or three, depending on how they are with each other. Add toys and upgrade to larger cages as they settle and behave themselves.

Better yet, as Caza said, bring in another rat or two before you (re)start introductions. A pair of rats can get on if their personalities are well matched (or they already know each other really well), but slightly larger groups tend to be more harmonious, particularly if there's a domineering personality involved.

Do consider where you'd be willing to source more rats from before getting more, though. There are a few articles here covering pet shops, breeders, and rescues, but basically please don't buy from a pet shop: http://www.fancyratsforum.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=111
Pet shop rats are more prone to illness and behavioural problems, and I personally would not take in a pet shop rat (even from the "adoption" section) without good quarantine procedures. A knowledgeable breeder or rescue will have much better handled rats, a much lower risk of viral infection, and although rescue rats are frequently from unfortunate circumstances, a good rescue will have gotten to know the rats in their care and should be able to match you with rats that are best suited to your needs.
Poo-shoveller to: Lita, Xeltan, Calyn, and Din.
Fondly remembering: Lia the scruffbag, Zephyr Delanynder the big floofy eejit, Falere the contrary, Mirala the best and finest, Zephyr Opold the serene, and Rila the rodentist.

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:15 am

If the one being humped doesn't seem to mind, then don't worry about trying to stop it. However I agree with the previous comments - a group of 3 or more works best for rats anyway. :luck:

Return to “Behaviour”