My rats don't like me to pet them too much!

Topics on behaviour, taming, companionship, introductions, and training
min and artie

My rats don't like me to pet them too much!

Post by min and artie » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:32 pm

Hello!

I apologise if this is the incorrect area but I'm just looking for some advice on my rats!

Both my girls are young and playful but do not like being petted in the slightest. Is there something I can do to improve on this as they find it very strange being touched and I don't want them to possibly become aggressive because of it (I had a nasty hand nip once so try hard not to pester them with it)!

Thanks! Louise :dumbo:
Artemis and Minerva :hearts:

ElizabethW

Re: My rats don't like me to pet them too much!

Post by ElizabethW » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:18 pm

How old are your girls? If they are still kittens sitting still to be stroked isn't usually high on the agenda - we have babies at the moment and the only time they stay still is when they're asleep; the rest of the time they're pinging around and won't even stay still long enough for me to take a picture :lol:

If your girls are from a pet shop, the chances are they may not have been handled very much, so you could try offering something nice on a spoon so they have to be close to you to eat it. Just spending time with your arms in the cage if you can is also good; talk to them and now and again scoop one of them up and put them straight back down so they start to get used to being picked up. Be matter of fact about it so you don't end up having to chase them around the cage; you want them to eventually realise that being picked up is just one of those things that is going to happen whether they want it to or not.

Another thing you can do is to put on a loose hoody or dressing gown and pop both rats inside - this will help them get used to you and start to associate you with safety. Try bouts of about 20 minutes at a time as often as you can.

Hope this helps a bit :luck:
Perkin, Bramble, Teasel, Oswald :love:
Fizz, Cuddles, Bubbles, Horace, Ollie, Humphrey, Fergus, Max, Monty, Pootle, Roger, Marley - "All the darkness in the world cannot extinguish the light of a single candle"

min and artie

Re: My rats don't like me to pet them too much!

Post by min and artie » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:44 am

Hi! My girls are still very young at 15 weeks so if it's because they're kittens that's such a relief! I was worried I was doing something wrong!

We did get them from a store (before we heard about breeders in the area) and we got them at 8 weeks old so they've only been with us 7 weeks! They're used to being scooped away from areas they shouldn't be but outwith of that it is exactly as you said. We do the treat thing so they have to sit with us to have it but I never thought to try the jumper/house coat idea!

Thanks very much I'll give that a try today! :love:
Artemis and Minerva :hearts:

Return to “Behaviour”