Rat making weird noises

All topics on health, physique, vets, and medication
SteveGT

Rat making weird noises

Post by SteveGT » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:29 pm

Hi. Just wanted to get some opinions to see if anybody knows what is happening here. Just bought 2 male blue dumbos. They have been with us for 3 days and seemed to be settling
In very well. We’ve just had them out for handling for about 30 minutes and then put them back in there cage. One of the rats after about 5 minutes of being back away started making some funny noises. He’s had a few more sneezing instances than his brother since we got him but it doesn’t seem anything to be worried about until tonight. Videos will be linked below to show what he was doing. This is the first time he has done this and it was a little worrying. Lasted for a couple of minutes and seems to have calmed down a little now but obviously I’d like to know if this is something to be concerned about. Thanks in advance for any help.

Mod note: video link removed (and quote tags removed) - whilst this may prove to be a genuine post, we have had a number of spam accounts join and I don't want to risk anyone clicking on a link that might be dangerous

[cub]

Re: Rat making weird noises

Post by [cub] » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:57 pm

Most of the time, if a noise is intermittent and the rat is otherwise well in themself, it's usually not a worry. They can grind their teeth when anxious or relaxed, some get sniffly/snorty when stressed(which can indicate a greater predisposition to respiratory issues, but isn't necessarily a problem in and of itself), some snore, some are just a bit sneezy in general. I wouldn't worry unless the noises worsen or the rat seems unwell.
Poo-shoveller to: Calyn and Zephyr Mick Jagger (Edgeworth).
Fondly remembering: Din the Sith Lord, Zephyr Donovan (Phoenix), Xeltan, Lita (NLA32), Lia (NLA28), Zephyr Delanynder (NLA28), Falere (NLA36), Mirala (NLA36), Zephyr Opold, and Rila.

SteveGT

Post by SteveGT » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:33 pm

Hi thanks for the reply. The video unfortunately got removed which I understand as it was my first post on this forum. The video shows it all though so I will try posting it again so you can see what he was doing. He seems okay now he just seems to do little sneezes more than anything. Doesn’t seem to be bad though I thought it was more of an excitement thing cause he usually does it more when he seems happy and hopping round the cage but I’d just like to see what others thought for piece of mind

https://vimeo.com/382227288

Thanks again for the reply 😁

[cub]

Post by [cub] » Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:50 pm

He looks and sounds pretty congested in that video. The amount of abdominal movement when he snorts is actually more worrying than the noises he's making; I'd keep a close eye and make sure his breathing isn't too laboured.

Assuming he's young, I'd consider giving him a course of ivermectin in case it's just parasitic bronchitis. You can get it as a spot-on without prescription.
Poo-shoveller to: Calyn and Zephyr Mick Jagger (Edgeworth).
Fondly remembering: Din the Sith Lord, Zephyr Donovan (Phoenix), Xeltan, Lita (NLA32), Lia (NLA28), Zephyr Delanynder (NLA28), Falere (NLA36), Mirala (NLA36), Zephyr Opold, and Rila.

Return to “Health”