Repeated falling after a spay?

All topics on health, physique, vets, and medication
threerats

Repeated falling after a spay?

Post by threerats » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:58 pm

I got my female 1.5 year old rat spayed about three weeks ago on 9/25. She had been on an antibiotic called SMZ-TMP Liquid for about a week before and then a week after the surgery. She was on this antibiotic due to a suspected uterine infection which we thought might be causing her vaginal bleeding.

After the spay we had a histopath done. She had an abscessed ovary and a mild case of endometriosis. As a result we took her off of the SMZ liquid and she was put on a two week long dose of doxy/baytril starting 10/2.

Ever since the spay I have seen her fall off of the platforms in her multilevel cage multiple times. Yesterday as I was cleaning her cage I saw her fall three different times within the course of an hour. She doesn't walk off balance, she isn't circling or headbutting things, she can climb just fine, she can grasp things with all hands, and she is acting completely normal. She just keeps falling off the edge of the platforms. Yesterday she also slipped while climbing but that was the first time I've ever seen her do that.

She can still successfully navigate up and down the cage (There are no ramps or ladders, they just climb the cage walls or jump), but a few times now I've seen her tumble right off the edge, it just looks like she is slipping and falling. At first I was thinking maybe a pituitary tumor but I'm hoping maybe its just some sort of adverse reaction to the spay/medicine? She never had this problem before getting fixed. Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Edit: She had an x-ray taken before the surgery to make sure everything looked normal. Vet didnt mention anything out of the usual. I have a copy if anyone wants to see it.
I also did the Wheelbarrow test recommended on the ratguide for pituitary tumors and she passed with flying colors, I even did it in reverse to check her back legs, all are fine.

[cub]

Re: Repeated falling after a spay?

Post by [cub] » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:07 pm

I have heard that general anaesthetics can cause or exacerbate pre-existing neurological conditions, but I don't know any more than that or have useful references unfortunately. I'd still keep an eye out for possible symptoms of a PT since the classic signs don't necessarily manifest right away. Have you spoken to your vet about this? They might be able to advise if a course of steroids might be useful, as that's the usual treatment for most neuro things.
Poo-shoveller to: Calyn and Zephyr Mick Jagger (Edgeworth).
Fondly remembering: Din the Sith Lord, Zephyr Donovan (Phoenix), Xeltan, Lita (NLA32), Lia (NLA28), Zephyr Delanynder (NLA28), Falere (NLA36), Mirala (NLA36), Zephyr Opold, and Rila.

threerats

Post by threerats » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:25 pm

I will keep watching for other signs of a PT. I am planning on taking her back to the vet, I'm just waiting for her to be done with the doxy/baytril to completely rule that out as a cause. I also have to find a new vet because I have not been impressed with the clinic I got her spayed at, they did a good job with the surgery (to my knowledge) but everything after that has been a huge mess. This will be my second time looking for a new vet.

Anyways, is there a test that they can do to determine if she actually has one? From what I've found, most websites say diagnosis is based on symptoms? I only ask because its entirely possible that I'm worrying about nothing and that shes completely fine and if that's the case I would rather not treat her with a bunch of unnecessary medicines. I have pretty bad anxiety and I tend to overthink things, my boyfriend thinks that I'm worrying about nothing.

You mentioned the classic signed of PT. I've already read through the ratguide on this but I'm just wondering if there is anything not listed there that I should be watching for? If this is a PT it'll be my first time dealing with one. Thanks!

[cub]

Post by [cub] » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:07 pm

As far as I am aware, the only definitive means of diagnosing a PT while the patient is alive is via MRI, which is sadly not a facility that many vet practices offer. Most diagnoses are based just on behavioural symptoms and response to treatment.

Rat Guide's writeup on PTs is reasonably thorough. As with so many of these things, the exact symptoms will vary quite a bit from individual to individual. My one PT girl started out with just general clumsiness.

If you're in the UK and on Facebook, this group might help you find a better vet: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1849856665043534/
Poo-shoveller to: Calyn and Zephyr Mick Jagger (Edgeworth).
Fondly remembering: Din the Sith Lord, Zephyr Donovan (Phoenix), Xeltan, Lita (NLA32), Lia (NLA28), Zephyr Delanynder (NLA28), Falere (NLA36), Mirala (NLA36), Zephyr Opold, and Rila.

Return to “Health”