Rats and the safety of reusing cleaning equipment that's been exposed to cigarette smoke

All topics on health, physique, vets, and medication
finallyfoundln37

Rats and the safety of reusing cleaning equipment that's been exposed to cigarette smoke

Post by finallyfoundln37 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:26 pm

Long story short, I used my air purifier, vacuum and carpet shampooer to clean an apartment that wreaked of smoke. Now my concern is that the exposure to this type of contamination may have tainted my cleaning supplies. I was wondering if it would be ill advised to continue using these supplies if I have pets crawling around on the floor. I'm worried they'll receive residual 3rd / 4th hand exposure. Usually I would take a "better safe than sorry" approach and just replace everything, but I'm on a very strict budget (low income), so I would have to dip into their vet fund in order to replace the cleaning equipment. I've search through Google and found no relevant results. Any help is appreciated.

**Posted in two sections as I am unsure which is the most appropriate for this post. My apologies.

[cub]

Re: Rats and the safety of reusing cleaning equipment that's been exposed to cigarette smoke

Post by [cub] » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:18 pm

I'm definitely not an expert, but I would imagine that if you changed any relevant disposable parts (e.g. replaceable filters, hoover bags) and gave the equipment as good of a clean/wipe down as you can, it's probably fine. Maybe if you gave them all a first use in some part of the house that the rats don't normally have access to as well.

If the equipment is in a state where you're willing to use it to clean your home, then it's probably fine for the rats. There's a big difference, after all, between a bit of tobacco residue on some cleaning equipment that's being used to clean your environment and someone actually smoking right in front of you.
Poo-shoveller to: Calyn, Din, Zephyr Donovan (Phoenix), and Zephyr Mick Jagger (Edgeworth).
Fondly remembering: Xeltan the wonky, Lita (NLA32), Lia (NLA28), Zephyr Delanynder (NLA28), Falere (NLA36), Mirala (NLA36), Zephyr Opold, and Rila.

Return to “Health”