Rat making strange noises

All topics on health, physique, vets, and medication
pastadog

Rat making strange noises

Post by pastadog » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:36 am

My male rat (about 7 months old) recently started making a strange noise about 1-2 days ago. It's not a squeak, it's more of a stomach growl kind of sound. I don't know why.. he eats fine, theres nothing dusty in their cage, he looks fine and doesnt seem to do anything out of the ordinary? Maybe it's just the cage making a noise (their cage I pretty noisy) but to me it sounds like it's coming from the rat.. am I paranoid?

[cub]

Re: Rat making strange noises

Post by [cub] » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:37 am

Do the sounds happen in sync with his breaths? You should be able to see his chest expand and contract when he breathes in and out. If the sounds are happening at the same time, it's likely to be a respiratory infection – low, grunty sounds are one of the possible symptoms – and he'll probably need to see a vet for some antibiotics.

(Incidentally, does he have any ratty cagemates?)
Poo-shoveller to: Lita, Xeltan, Calyn, and Din.
Fondly remembering: Lia the scruffbag, Zephyr Delanynder the big floofy eejit, Falere the contrary, Mirala the best and finest, Zephyr Opold the serene, and Rila the rodentist.

pastadog

Post by pastadog » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:33 pm

[cub] wrote:Do the sounds happen in sync with his breaths? You should be able to see his chest expand and contract when he breathes in and out. If the sounds are happening at the same time, it's likely to be a respiratory infection – low, grunty sounds are one of the possible symptoms – and he'll probably need to see a vet for some antibiotics.

(I'm not sure how to reply I assume this is it)

The noises don't go in sync with his breathing they only happen occasionally. For example I'll be sat in my room and I'll hear it and look at then and nothing is wrong so I carry on doing whatever and then it happens again anywhere between 5 minutes and a day. Currently I haven't heard him make the noise since yesterday.

And yes he has 1 cagemate (:

pastadog

Post by pastadog » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:51 am

pastadog wrote:
[cub] wrote:Do the sounds happen in sync with his breaths? You should be able to see his chest expand and contract when he breathes in and out. If the sounds are happening at the same time, it's likely to be a respiratory infection – low, grunty sounds are one of the possible symptoms – and he'll probably need to see a vet for some antibiotics.

(I'm not sure how to reply I assume this is it)

The noises don't go in sync with his breathing they only happen occasionally. For example I'll be sat in my room and I'll hear it and look at then and nothing is wrong so I carry on doing whatever and then it happens again anywhere between 5 minutes and a day. Currently I haven't heard him make the noise since yesterday.

And yes he has 1 cagemate (:
Update: I've also noticed it's always late at night between 1am - 6am

Return to “Health”