3 Sisters - 2 fat, one terribly thin

All topics on health, physique, vets, and medication
domiles

3 Sisters - 2 fat, one terribly thin

Post by domiles » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:54 pm

These three ladies are about 18 months old and I've had them since they were very little. One of them is really really skinny and I would almost use the terms 'boney' and 'slight'. There is a massive difference between her and her sisters who are larger and have much more flesh on them. I pick her up and she is like a rat skeleton with skin on it!
I am not too worried because at least Little Miss Skinny is as active and alert as the other two. She runs and climbs around as much as them and comes to the bars for food as much as them. She has as much access to food as the others and there is no fighting over food or pecking order.
I have read some other useful answers on this forum about why rats can differ in size but just thought I'd ask - am I right to not worry as long as she is active and eating and looking healthy in every other way? Or should I be doing some checks or visiting the vet?
Thanks
Dom.

Wilcox_87

Re: 3 Sisters - 2 fat, one terribly thin

Post by Wilcox_87 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:33 am

Rats are like people, they come in all shapes and sizes and have different metabolisms so two rats with the diet can differ in weight dramatically. Has she always been thin or has she suddenly lost the weight? If the latter then that may be something to worry about but if she has always had a slim physique and she is still very active and healthy is all other aspects I probably would not worry too much. Do you scatter feed? Even if you are not seeing much competition when feeding it may still be that the other two or hogging food during the night and restricting her access a bit. Scatter feeding evens it out a bit and gives everyone a fair access to food. Have you checked that she is actually eating and not just picking it up and putting it down again? If she is having problems with her mouth then she may be picking food up because she is hungry but then putting it down again. Things like baby food and pasta are good for putting weight on, maybe try feeding her separately when the other two are free ranging or take her out of the cage by herself and give her a little extra food. If you are worried my advice is always go to the vet, if for nothing else then to put your own mind at rest :luck:
Rose with Damon, River and Robin
To all my little heartbreakers, too many to name here, most recently: Remy :rattyrainbow:
And my beautiful boy Beans. You were the best cat in the World and were ripped away from us far too soon. If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever :hearts:

joskel

Post by joskel » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:39 am

Our two girls are very different, Lupo is very slight - she feels as though she's very delicate compared to Pudsey, who is much rounder and squishy. They have both been seen by the vet as various times but there's never been any concern over their weights.

Lupo is definitely not food-driven, she will completely ignore even treats if she's not hungry unlike Pudsey who can never say no!

Jo

squeakrat

Post by squeakrat » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:19 pm

With you describing her as bony, I'd said she's probably too underweight. Can you try and get a look at her teeth? Misaligned teeth can eventually cause them problems in grinding their food down and they start to lose weight. I had a rat who was always on the skinny side, and it wasn't until she really started to lose weight that I realised her teeth were badly overgrown.
Jenny x
:girly: Elfine :dumbogirly: Ada
:rattyrainbow: Scout, Daisy, Meg, Lola, Ruby, Chick, Hope, Pocket, Belle, Dory, Silvermist, Poppy, Tarka, Jasmine, Flora, Penny, Lyra, Cassandra, Luna, Wren, Merryweather, Harper, Izzy, Tigger, Squeak, Bandit, Vandal :rattyrainbow:

domiles

Post by domiles » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:00 am

Thank you very much for these replies, I will take note of all the advice. Thank you.

Return to “Health”