Pink/red eyes vision varies?

All topics on health, physique, vets, and medication
Squirrel

Pink/red eyes vision varies?

Post by Squirrel » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:15 pm

I have found that although generally red eyed rats (ie pink red, not ruby) vision is not as good as brown black eyed rats, it does vary a lot by individual.

For example our latest pink eyed rats are a dumbo himmy called Marshmallow and a champagne hooded called Elsa. If you call Elsa she runs towards you right away. If you call Marshie she comes out but she's looking all round with no clue where you are and you have to wave your hand right in front of her for her to know where to come to. Obviously pink eyed rats have bad hearing too.

Elsa is three months older than Marshmallow too so I'd have thought if anything her eyesight would be worse.

Have others found this variation as well?

Mayamy
Admin Aide

Re: Pink/red eyes vision varies?

Post by Mayamy » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:04 pm

I'm not sure how much they rely on vision anyway really, mine react to noises far more and my pink-eyed girl is one of the most mobile ninjas I have. If I move during free range I get a swarm instantly appearing at my feet regardless of eye colour - and that group now includes black, ruby and pink-eyed rats :lol:
Amy - with Pixel, Dora, Ren, Vex, Nova & Tali

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:09 pm

The degree to which their eyesight is affected may depend partly on the reason for their eyes being that colour - a himalayan has red eyes due to the albino and siamese genes, whereas a champagne's pink eyes are caused by a different gene (pink eye dilute). The eye colour of the varieties which I breed range from very dark ruby through to a light red, but all are caused by the american mink gene and its interaction with other genes, and none of mine head-sway.

So I think that two rats with the same eye colour but caused by different genes could very likely have quite different quality of eyesight (and there would be some variation even if the genes were the same).

Squirrel

Post by Squirrel » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:15 am

Thank you! That makes perfect sense. I knew that for example silver fawns can come from either agouti or cinnamon (I think) stock, and the ones from agouti lines are more ginger, so I kinda knew that different genes can have different effects even from aspects of a rat's looks that seem the same (ginger coat or pink eyes in this case). Great explanation!

Squirrel

Post by Squirrel » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:16 am

Yes Amy, I don't think bad vision holds them back much, lol!

alysrats123

Post by alysrats123 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:24 pm

Yes haha, I have three ratties all of which have ruby or pink eyes but one of them in particular has very poor eyesight as I see her waving her head drastically quite often :lol: lol

Squirrel

Post by Squirrel » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:20 am

Bless her!

Return to “Health”