Mysterious Scabs

All topics on health, physique, vets, and medication
Ratqween

Mysterious Scabs

Post by Ratqween » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:44 pm

Hello! I purchased two female rats days ago, haven’t handled them until today as I was letting them settle in a bit first. I immediately noticed after picking up one of them that she has scabbing and a bare patch behind her ear, around her shoulder area. She does have sharp claws but I don’t see her itching often at all, there’s been no abnormal sneezing & her ears/eyes are clear. Her sister and her both are quiet and calm, they’re gentle when they groom themselves/each other and the sister doesn’t have any scabbing. I’ve read it could be mites but I can’t see any upon inspection and she really hasn’t been scratching at all. There’s also what seems to be tiny bit of flaking on her tail and looks to be very small scabbing/flaking on one of her ears also. I think she’s a velveteen if it could have anything to do with her fur type, I’ve owned a fair amount of rats and have never seen this before.

Picture for reference:

https://imgur.com/d6r5R7l

Thanks in advance!

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: Mysterious Scabs

Post by cyber ratty » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:04 pm

That could be a patch of staph. I'd give her a bath with diluted hibiscrub - although since you've not handled her yet that may not be as easy as it sounds.

Incidentally, I don't think not handling while they settle in is a very good idea, much better to start the way you mean to go on, and let the rats get used to you asap.

[cub]

Re: Mysterious Scabs

Post by [cub] » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:20 pm

If it hasn't started clearing up by now you may need to take her to a vet for an antibiotic cream. Unless of course it's not staph; other skin infections are also available. Be careful when handling as many skin infections are contagious (staph and ringworm being the most common).
Poo-shoveller to: Calyn (NLA32); Zephyr Nyahir; Zephyr Zymandis; Zephyr Blasto.
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Mick Jagger "Edgeworth"; Din (NLA28); Zephyr Donovan "Phoenix"; Xeltan; Lita (NLA32); Lia (NLA28); Zephyr Delanynder (NLA28); Falere (NLA36); Mirala (NLA36); Zephyr Opold; Rila.

Return to “Health”